Looks like we’re getting a video from Jay-Z’s new album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, and its “Picasso Baby.” Jay-Z is current filming the video in New York at The Pace Gallery and a few lucky fans captured a few videos. From the looks of things Jay-Z is taking technology and social media in a new direction by allowing fans to record what’s happening in the moment. Can’t wait to see this video or any video in general from Magna Carta. “Picasso Baby” is definitely a stand out on the album.
To say it’s been a pretty busy past few weeks for Jay-Z would be an understatement. Yesterday the genius rapper stopped by to appear on the ever so controversial morning radio show, The Breakfast Club. The appearance marked Jay’s first visit to the show to promote his new album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, which is now available for purchase today!
While on the show Mr. Carter shared his views on the digital age of music, Kanye West’sYeezus, staying current and in touch, fatherhood, Lil Wayne, and past feud with Nas. Jay also talked about the high placement he gives Magna Carta Holy Grail compared to his past releases.
As you know Magna Carta Holy Grail is certified platinum and is expected to debut at number 1 on Billboard 200 next week. This week it is now being predicted that Jay-Z will sale between 475-525k copies by July 14th in physical sales. This is amazing since Jay-Z took a whole new routine in promoting his album. Check part 1 and 2 of his interview with The Breakfast Club below.
Welp, it's official. $1 million in sales as the campaign with Samsung is now deemed certifiable with the RIAA. Here's the photo proof.
Plus, Jay-Z sat down with Angie Martinez on Hot97 today. Here are some of the best quotes from the engaging interview, as curated by VIBE.
On the RIAA changing their rules for Magna Carta Holy Grail:
"If you did 500,000 digital, 200 thousand, whatever the metrics is, they should certify what's digital. It should've been happening. I was just the agent of change."
On unveiling his Magna Carta Holy Grail artwork at Salisbury Cathedral:
"That wasn't easy."
On whether he's surprised about moves he pulls off:
"It's a bit of business acumen and it's a bit of believing I can and not being afraid to fail. That holds a lot of people back, that fear of failure."
On whether he hates failing:
"I'm a person that loves winning. [But] I don't hate to lose. That's a different personality trait. Some people hate to lose and that drives them."
On being a father:
"[It's] just more reaffirming the things that's really important in life and editing your life in such a way that you don't have anything that's distracting you. Anything that's taking away from that time you should be with your child."
On growing up with both parents:
"They were together my early years, till I was 9 or something. That's what made it worse—'cause I knew. Some people don't even get to feel that sort of love at all so you can't miss what you don't have. It's still this empty feeling. There's more of an empty feeling having it then having it taken away from you."
The first week sales projections are in for Magna Carta Holy Grail. With the pre-orders and demands, industry sources are projecting 350-400K sold, according to HHNM. Plus, with the newly-altered RIAA rule, the 1 million that Samsung copped for the July 4th release may count. Whatever the case, it looks like Hov's walkin' away with his 13th #1 album, which would be second only to The Beatles. Wow.
Above, the booklet, liner notes, and production credits were all released too. Below is the latter, transcribed in full.
1. Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake) [S. Carter, Justin Timberlake, Terius "The-Dream" Nash, T. Mosley, J. Harmon, E.] [Sample Credits:Contains elements of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (K. Cobain/D. Grohl/K.Novoselic), published by EMI Virgin Songs, Inc. (BMI)/Primary Wave Tunes (BMI)/The End of Music (BMI)/MJ Twelve Mu]
2. Picasso Baby [S. Carter, T. Mosley, J. Harmon, A. Younge] [Sample Credits: "Sirens" performed by Adrian Younge. used courtesy of Wax Poetics Records. Written by A. Younge, published by Linear Labs (ASCAP)
Produced by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc.]
3. F.U.T.W. [Produced by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc. and Jerome "Jroc" Harmon for Bronze and Brainz Productions/Timbaland Productions, Inc. Recorded by Chris Godbey for Side by Side/JVU Ent. and Dem]
4. SomewhereInAmerica [S. Carter, C. Hollis, C. Camper, M. Dean] [Sample Credits: Embodies portions of "Gangster of Love (Part 1)" written by Johnny Guitar Watson, published by Songs of Universal, Inc. o/b/o Virjon LLC d/b/a Booty Ooty Music (BMI) Sample recreation]
5. Crown [S. Carter, J. Webster, K. Bennett, M. Dean, M. Collins, B. Dixon] [Sample Credits: Use of "Solid As A Rock" performed by Sizzla, courtesy of VP Music Group, Inc. Embodies portions of "Solid As A Rock" written by K. Bennett, M. Collins, published by Universal PolyGra]
6. Heaven [S. Carter, Terius "The-Dream" Nash, Justin Timberlake, T. Mosley, J. Harmon, W.] [Sample Credits: "Reverie" performed by Adrian Younge, used courtesy of Wax Poetics Records. Written by A. Younge, published by Linear Labs. Contains elements of "Losing My Religion" (Berry/Buck/Mills]
7. Versus [S. Carter, K. Dean, J. Davis, T. Mosley, J. Harmon, F. Hubbard, M. Jones, M. Ta] [Sample Credits: Embodies portions of "Sucka Nigga," written by Ali Shaheed Jones-Muhammad, Kamaal Ibn John Fareed, Malik Izaak Taylor and Freddie Hubbard, published by Universal Music-Z Tunes LLC]
8. Beach Is Better [Produced by Mike WiLL- Made It for Eardrummers Entertainment LLC Co-Produced by Marz for Eardrummers Entertainment LLC Recorded by Chris Godbey for Side By Side/JVU Ent. at Jungle City Studios, NYC]
9. BBC (Feat. Nas, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell, Swizz Beatz & Timbaland) [Produced by Pharrell Williams Recorded by Chris Godbey for Side By Side/JVU Ent. and Demacio "Demo" Castelllon at Oven Studios, NYC Assistant Recording Engineer: Ramon Rivas]
10. 14. Jay-Z Blue [S. Carter, J. Harmon, C. Broady, T. Mosley, Justin Timberlake, S. Combs, D. McD] [Sample Credits: Features samples from The Notorious B.I.G. recording "My Downfall." Produced under license from Atlantic Recordings Corp. by arrangement with Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Mus]
11. La Familia [Produced by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc. and Jerome "Jroc" Harmon for Bronze and Brainz Productions/Timbaland Productions, Inc. Recorded by Demacio "Demo" Castellon at Oven Studios, NYC]
12. Nickels & Dimes [S. Carter, K. Joshua, M. Dean, S. Valentine] [Sample Credits: Sample of "Nikels And Dimes" performed by Gonjasufi, used courtesy of Warp Records. Written by S. Valentine, published by Warp Music Limited (ASCAP) Produced by Kyambo "Hip Hop" Joshu]
13. Oceans (Feat. Frank Ocean) [Produced by Pharrell Williams Additional production by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc. Recorded by Jordan "DJ Swivel" Young at Jungle City Studios, NYC Additional recording by Ramon Rivas]
14. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt (Feat. Rick Ross) [Produced by Boi 1da for 1da Boi Productions and Vinylz for Vinylz Music Group Additional production by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc. Recorded by Chris Godbey for Side by Side/JVU Ent. and Demacio "Demo" Castellon at Jungle City Studios, NYC]
15. Tom Ford [Produced by Timbaland for Timbaland Production, Inc. and Jerome "Jroc" Harmon for Bronze and Brainz Productions/Timbaland Productions, Inc. Recorded by Chris Godbey for Side by Side/JVU Ent. and Dema]
16. Part II (On The Run) (Feat. Beyonce) [Produced by Timbaland for Timbaland Productions, Inc. and Jerome"Jroc" Harmon for Bronze and Brainze Productions/TimbalandProductions, Inc. Recorded by Demacio "Demo" Castellon at Oven Studios, NYC]
(Use the left and right arrows to view more tweets)
Hov has decided to conduct a live Q&A that's going on a couple hours now at posting time. This is noteworthy considering Jay-Z's lack of tweeting altogether, a mix of fun questions and #MagnaCarta questions are answered, and he cites the legendary Mark Madsen dance. Needless to say, it's all been entertaining.
Keep it locked here as we curate some of the best and most interesting questions and answers and follow Hov at @S_C_ — he's still going. (And if you thought about it, Billboards' William Gruger confirms Jay-Z's account has not been hacked.)
NOW UPDATED through 6:09p CT. Hov is done tweeting for the day, ha!
The musical update stems from one of the questions seen above. Jay was asked about "Dead Presidents 3" and he responded giving Twitter permission to Young Guru and Just Blaze to release the track. Soon after, voila!
Just one of the many reasons to be refreshing Hov's Twitter today. Be sure to click all the arrows above to see my favorite tweets from Jay-Z.
In today's Twitter Q&A, Jay-Z was asked about "Dead Presidents 3" and gave Young Guru & Just Blaze the permission to release it. So, here it is: the original version, with the second verse landing on "Moment Of Clarity". Love how it came up on Twitter, and now is out. Can't knock the track either. An instant ear-grabber.
As with Yeezus a few weeks ago, Gianni Lee & Mike Blud gather all the samples used on Jay-Z's new album, Magna Carta Holy Grail for a 45 minute mix for stream and download above. I'm trying to track down a full tracklist, but of course it starts with Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which Jay-Z & JT recite in the album's opening track "Holy Grail". Other artists sampled for the album, and heard above, include R.E.M., Sizzla, Johnny Guitar Watson, Adrian Younge, Mase, and Gonjasufi. Enjoy this mix to aide in your #MagnaCarta listening this weekend.
Well, I'm sure no one saw this coming. Frequent Kanye collaborator and producer on the original "Watch The Throne" has confirmed via Twitter that Watch The Throne 2 is a thing that will exist sometime in the near future. 'Ye and Jay have basically been at the top since the first one came out, I guess they're afraid of losing that number one spot and need to keep the attention up. Either that or they are scrambling to build some trust funds for the baby girls each of them just had. Smart move on their part; college is expensive these days.
"good ideas in theory just don’t translate into reality"
- Dj Skee
Fourth of July became a historic day in Hip-Hop history amidst the relase of Jay-Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail, an album feauring productions from Timbaland, Pharrell Williams and Swizz Beatz, among many others. This album was also historic as Jay-Z joined forces with Samsung in allowing holders of Samsung phones to preview the album days in advance before the rest of the nation would be able to. Samsung purchased 1-million copies of Magna Carta Holy Grail to give away on its Galaxy and Note phone lines through the use of a MCHG app. This in the end turned into a travesty as millions of users grew desperate to hear the new album of Jay-Z. Phone after phone and application after application came crashing down as they were not allowed to access Magna Carta Holy Grail. A great idea that was just that, a great idea. It didn't translate in reality as expressed by DJ Skee.
Skee also wrote a post expressing his disbelief towards the travesty that resulted from the launch of MCHG that was supposed to be accessed just by Samsung users. That changed dramatically as thousands of sites had access to MCHG and put it upon themselves to leak the album. The collaboration by Jay-Z and Samsung can be seen as a failure as it only exposes the music industry as well as technology in signaling that it doesnt matter how technological artists want to get with their album releases. There are hackers and applications out there that can easily gain access to music and expose the labor and work of artists in a matter of seconds. Jay-Z should've taken a page from his protege J. Cole's situation being that once Born Sinner was released Cole acknowledged the leak and put it upon himself to finally allow his album to be streamed online for free. Ultimately this isn't a major blow to Jay-Z or his album sales because he does have a strong fan base that will show up to stores and buy a physical cd. For Samsung it provided publicity around their products and for what it is worth good or bad publicity they received notoriety for this collaboration.
(An ironic yet hilarious look of the partnership between Samsung and Jay-Z)
If anyone is interested in reading the article created by DJ Skee you are able to access it by clicking here.
For an additional look of Magna Carta Holy Grail by the numbers click here.
For those who think crazy teenage dreams don't come true, here's some proof to the contrary. On the production credits for the song "Crown" off Jay-Z's new "Magna Carta Holy Grail," you might notice an unfamiliar producer, WondaGurl. Turns out she's 16-year-old Ebony Oshunrinde of Ontario, and she just got the debut of a lifetime. In the interview with MTV, she explains how she came to create the beat, first sending it to Travi$ Scott, who liked it so much, he threw it Jay-Z's way. Hopefully this is not the last we'll be hearing from WondaGurl.