UPDATE: "Full uncensored" version. Not sure what else is different except a touch more skin from Kim, but, um, enjoy?!
As promised, the new "Bound 2" video! KimYe take to the Grand Canyon for this Nick Knight-directed visual on the Yeezus fan favorite. As premiered on Ellen.
I'm not that high on the video though, in fact. The green screen effect could have been more effective if it was juxtaposed with something completely different. Furthermore, and I didn't know there was such a thing, but it felt like there was too much of Kim. After the video started, I was hoping for more variety of scenes and I think that would be my solution to enhance the concept. Overall, my favorite part was the closing Charlie Wilson chorus. Per usual with 'Ye, the reaction this morning has been polarizing; chime in with your thoughts as well @gowherehiphop.
PLUS, here's Kanye's interview with Ellen. He had romantic things about to say on his fiance Kim:
“She’s a person that, when I was at my lowest moments, I could get on the phone with her and she would make me feel like I was here for a reason and I had something to say… It’s incredible to have a woman like that that you know is not using you for money.”
And more on DONDA collaboration (less about "I" now):
“God gave me everything that I wanted, and I wanna take a piece of that joy that I’m feeling and give it back to the people who have helped make that happen for me.”
There were so many highlights in these two performances that I'll list 'em below.
- Charlie Wilson's impromptu singing in "New Slaves" and the natural chemistry he and Kanye have.
- Kanye's blank stares upward.
- Kanye's improved ending to his second verse.
- This shot.
- The quality of shots and cuts, combined with the dark lighting and spotlights throughout. Jools Holland is on the top tier of performance presentation amongst other mainstream outlets.
- The various levels of autotune that 'Ye experiments with in "Blood On The Leaves"
- This ending.
- And, overall, the amazing artistry on display. All of Kanye's Yeezus performances thus far have brought the song to life and given it an extra level of energy that reminds us why 'Ye is hands-down one of the elite performers in the game. I couldn't be more excited about the Yeezus tour comin' to town.
Out in the U.K. right now, Kanye West stopped by Jools Holland and was accompanied by Charlie Wilson for another live performance of "Bound 2" (following up on last week's on Fallon) and this was another great one of one of everyone's favorite tracks off Yeezus. Per usual with 'Ye, you feel him feel the music. "Bound 2" was also enhanced by Charlie Wilson's free flowing singing and how the camera captured 'Ye up close and Charlie in the background. You'll also notice in the background Mike Dean and Chi-Town's own Mano, which really worked visually as well. Watch above ICYMI!
"Brandy‘s little sister lame and you know it now."
- Kanye West
Kanye West made his first appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight, a surprise one at that, as he joins The Roots and is accompanied by Charlie Wilson for a performance of the Yeezus fan favorite "Bound 2".
And wow, did this come to life live, huh? Not only was 'Ye flanked by the booming vocals of Charlie Wilson, but also a children chorus for help on the sample. The live version of "Bound 2" was filled with soul from all of the above (The Roots and Mano included) and that's fitting for the many who call the album's concluding track Yeezus' most soulful, "throwback Kanye" jam.
I thoroughly enjoyed this performance and feel like it's a great glimpse of what's to come on the Yeezus tour (tickets on sale Friday!)